Celery seeds, a spice adding a strong celery flavor to foods, are obtained from the seeds of a wild variety of common celery. Often used as an ingredient in pickle seasoning mixes and in salads and soups. The seeds are low in fat, cholesterol-free and rich in a variety of vitamins and minerals, including manganese, iron, calcium and magnesium.
Celery and Insulin
Celery seeds are being known to act similarly to insulin in human body. It therefore goes to reason that if eating celery seeds regularly, this will aid in the management of diabetes. However, there are two kind of diabetes: Type 1 and Type 2. Type 1 diabetes is characterized by not having enough insulin, which is needed to regulate blood-sugar levels. Celery seed may be used treating a number of conditions, including unhealthy cholesterol levels, but does not include diabetes as a condition treated by celery seed.
Mustard seeds, black and white
Available in different varieties, black mustard (nigra), white mustard (hirta/Sinapis alba) and brown Indian mustard (juncea)
Health Benefits of Eating Mustard Seeds
Being a good source of selenium, it is known for anti-inflammatory effects. Selenium is a nutrient helping to reduce the severity of asthma, certain symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and even cancer, having proven in reducing the frequency of migraine 偏頭痛 attacks. Consuming these seeds is known to help women suffering from distorted sleep patterns, associated with symptoms of menopause 絕經
Mustard seeds contain a lot of phytonutrients 植物營養素 called glucosinolates 芥子油苷. They also boast of myrosinase enzymes, which can break glucosinolates into other phytonutrients called isothiocyanates 異硫氰酸酯, known to have anti-cancer properties.
1) have been proved to be a good source of omega–3 fatty acids, iron, manganese, zinc, protein, calcium, dietary fiber and niacin.
2) a good source of magnesium, which helps reducing the severity of asthma, lower high blood pressure, and preventing heart attack in patients suffering from atherosclerosis 動脈硬化 or diabetic heart disease.
3) the magnesium in mustard seeds also helps speeding up the metabolism of human body, hence improving digestion.
4) being known having antibacterial, antiseptic 防腐 as well as antifungal properties.
5) consuming black mustard seeds can help people with a lack of appetite, when taken with milk, 15 minutes before meal.
Mustard seeds are not categorized among allergic foods, however carelessly-eaten strong seeds can have a strong and painful effect on the nasal membranes.
Benefits of Nutmeg
Sedative, stimulant, relaxant, anti inflammatory, antiseptic, bactericide, etc.
- Nutmeg is an effective liver and kidney detoxifier
- nutmeg powder heated on the pan with sesame oil until brown is an effective external application to relieve any rheumatic pain, neuralgia and sciatica. The oil should be cooled and strained before application.
- Nutmeg can help clearing up congestion due to colds, used in many cough syrups
- Nutmeg powder (about 5 to 15 grams), mixed with apple juice or banana, is used as a specific remedy for diarrhea caused by indigestion.
Nutmeg Side Effects
Large dosage (30 grams which is about 6 tablespoons a day) of nutmeg can be toxic, producing disorientation, double vision and convulsions, but these side effect will not be produced even with generous amount in culinary usage.
Nutmeg and mace are UNSAFE in doses larger than amounts found in foods. Side effects such as thirst, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, feelings of pressure in the chest or stomach, dry mouth, stomach pain, and many other problems might occur in some people. More serious side effects might include hallucinations, seizures, and death.
Special Precautions & Warnings
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Nutmeg and mace are UNSAFE in doses larger than amounts found in foods. In pregnant women, they may cause miscarriages or birth defects. Not enough is known about the safety of using nutmeg and mace during breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Top 5 Health Benefits of Oregano
1. Antioxidants 抗氧化劑 for Immune System Support
2. Antifungal, Antibacterial, and May Even Kill MRSA 抗藥性金黃色葡萄球菌 (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus). Carvacol and thymol, two phytochemicals in oregano, are powerful antimicrobials.
3. Anti-inflammatory Properties
Oregano contains beta-caryophyllene β-石竹 (E-BCP), a substance that inhibits inflammation and may also be beneficial for conditions including osteoporosis 骨質疏鬆 and arteriosclerosis 動脈硬化, as well as metabolic syndrome 代謝綜合徵.
4. Useful for Upper Respiratory Infections
5. Cancer-Fighting Effects