Low Carbohydrate Diet
What is a low-carb diet
You do not need to eliminate all carbohydrates from diet in order to gain the blood sugar and weight-loss benefits of a low-carb diet. Instead we need finding an amount of daily carbohydrates that is suitable for you in parallel you can maintain longterm.
– For some, 150 grams of carbs per day is their target. While this isn’t technically low but lower than the average non-diabetic diet.
– A low-carb diet generally starts at 100 grams or less of carbohydrates.
– A very low-carb diet would be less than 50 grams per day.
– A severely low-carb diet is under 25 grams of carbs per day.
Researchers supported the results of clinical studies with following 12 points:
For people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. For type 1 diabetes, a low carb diet is the default diet in addition to taking insulin. For people with type 2 diabetes, a low carbohydrate diet is the first intervention.
1. High blood sugar is the most important feature of diabetes control.
2. Increase in calorie intake and obesity has been driven by increases in carbs intake.
3. Carb restriction provides benefits regardless of weight loss.
4. Carb restriction is the most reliable dietary intervention for weight loss.
5. Adherence to low carb diets in type 2 diabetes is as strong as other dietary interventions, and is often significantly stronger.
6. Generally, replacing carbs with protein is beneficial.
7. Increased total fat and saturated fat intake are not associated with increased heart disease risk.
8. Triglycerides are controlled by carb intake more than by lipids (LDL, HDL).
9. HbA1c is the greatest predictor of microvascular and macrovascular complications in patients with type 2 diabetes.
10. Lowering carb intake is the most effective method for decreasing triglyceride levels and raising levels of ‘good’ HDL cholesterol.
11. Patients with diabetes reduce their dependence on, or doses of, medication when following a low carb diet.
12. Intensive blood glucose reduction though carb restriction has negligible side effects compared with use of medication for the same effect.
Low Carb Diet Mistakes – 7 Most Common
My Food Diary: What I Eat (Low Carb)
Insulin Resistance Diet
– To Age Or Not To Age –
Which is the best diet?
Paleo vs The Rest